Summertime is fun, but it can get super busy. I don't know about you, but I get wrapped up in making these grand plans for after work or for the weekend. My free time is either packed with activities or nailed down by routine. But before the summer is over and we all go back to hibernating in our apartments, let's slow down and enjoy it while we can. Below are 10 things you can do to relax this summer!
- Go to the beach or park with a book - sounds simple, right? But when was the last time you did something alone and without a plan to "meet up after"? Mark your calendar, walk/uber/ride to a beach or a park and bring something interesting to read. Don't bring your textbook, professional development folder, or anything mind numbing. Bring that guilty pleasure book or the book that you're dying to read. This little indulgence will make even a half hour in peace so much more enjoyable.
- Call a friend and go on a walk. Whether they live in your neighborhood or somewhere else, walks are therapeutic. Go with the purpose of walking, looking around your surroundings, and enjoy talking/listening to a friend. Don't wait until the weekend to see your pal, call them up and see if they'll meet to walk around a park or beach. Dial down the "I need to be working out, cooking, cleaning" voice in your head and make time to be outside with a friend!
- Journal. It may sound lame to some of you, but I think it's a great way to map out what's going on in your head. Even if it's just writing down a couple goals or one or two positives from the day. Journaling can be helpful. Or maybe drawing is what relaxes you. Pick up a notebook and doodle, color, or paint. Whatever creative outlet floats your boat!
- Experiment in the kitchen. Sure, this one costs money if your fridge and pantry are empty. But google recipes that include what you already have on hand. Or hit up a farmers market and get ingredients at a low cost!
- Do an at-home facial. Most of the recipes here are all natural and you probably already have the ingredients in your cupboard. Who doesn't want soft skin from the comfort of your couch?
- Eat dinner outside. This one can be cheap or expensive. But take advantage of the summer and dine alfresco! Make a picnic or find a restaurant with outdoor seating. Take a deep breath and go on a night where you can enjoy it and not rush home to change the laundry or walk the dog.
- Take a nap.
- Watch Queer Eye marathon. Honestly, this one is on the list because everyone should watch it and there is nothing more relaxing than a TV marathon on the couch.
- Try meditating. I've been using Headspace and really like it. It helps me slow down and recenter when I am stressed or anxious.
- Take time off - summer vacation isn't just for kids. Take some time off, whether it be an extra 30 minutes at lunch to walk around and enjoy the fresh air, or a week off to visit family. The summer is a great time to recharge your batteries and reconnect with what's important.
Whatever you do this summer to relax, make sure to take care of yourself and enjoy every minute of it!